Wednesday, August 08, 2007

My 1st Algerian Wedding

One of the perks of working overseas is having the opportunity to experience multi-cultural celebrations.

Last Thursday, I was invited to a wedding between 2 colleagues in Algeria. Well, even the marriage itself was cross-cultural as it was a marriage between an Egyptian (The Groom) & an Algerian (The Bride).

CONGRATS! =))

The wedding dinner took place @ El-Aurassi Hotel located in Algiers Center. The layout of the restaurant was pretty contemporary, not the least bit traditional as I thought it would be.


In fact, it was kind of similar to the Malay weddings back in Singapore.


.

.

.

THE MARCH-IN

I was taken aback when the groom informed us that the wedding would begin @19:30hrs and last all the way till 06:00hrs the next morning! *WOAH* Can you blame me?! Cos from where I come from, there’s absolutely no way I can party for 10.5hrs with NO ALCOHOL streaming in my blood. *shrugz* =p

Anyhoo~, I arrived on time (which was a HUGE mistake btw, cos most of the guests were at least 2hrs late & dinner was only served at 22:00hrs *argh*) and didn’t stay for the entire celebration for obvious reasons (*Reminder: NO ALCOHOL *haha*). Besides, LIVE Arabic Folk Music weren’t exactly my cup of tea. I was out of there by 23:30hrs after kissing the happy couple on their cheeks, bidding goodbye.

THE WEDDING SINGERS ;)

And so the ‘toxic-less’ party when on till the wee hours of the morning . . .

2 comments:

Sencha said...

Then again it's only possible to party until wee hours in the morning because there's no alcohol.

Whoever said that there's fun involved?

deepsix said...

*hahaha*
That's a good point! >.<