Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Rivals of Barbara Millicent Roberts


I bet many of you didn’t know Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. Bet you also didn’t know Barbie & Ken split up in Feb 2004 but were back together since Feb 2006. Well, at least I didn’t. I was well over Barbie by the time I turned 11.

Was reading the headlines on the web this morning and came across this article, “Barbie inspires modest, Muslim alternative”. Apparently, an Indonesian has come up with a “Muslim Barbie Doll” called Salma (the Arabic word for peace) which she hopes will inspire virtue in Muslim girls.


Salma


This article caught my interest and got me looking up on related topics. It was then that I realised that there were more than one version of the “Muslim Barbie Doll”.

It appears that in Sep 2003, Barbie was banned in Saudi Arabia because she did not conform to the ideals of Islam, with her revealing clothes and provocative postures. Fulla (which represented a fragrant jasmine flower found only in the Middle East) was then created as an alternative for Barbie to reflect Muslim values.

Fulla


Other Muslim dolls that were created with a hijab (headscarf) include Razanne, the Moroccan Bride, and now Salma.

Razanne

Moroccan Bride

Mummy, I also want a Muslim Barbie Doll can?

No comments: