Thursday, September 06, 2007

Blackout Bliss @ Algeria

Blackout, power cut, water failure . . . you name it, Algeria has got it! Such emergencies aren’t uncommon in Algeria. Even in its capital – Algiers.

I live in Algiers. And the apartment I reside in is in an area name Cheraga, supposedly I pretty high-end residential area (will blog more about the apartment another time). Blackouts & water failure happens almost every fortnightly, and last for not longer than half a day.

See the building with the white pillars? I live in the 'penthouse' ... :p

On Aug 29, there was a power failure in certain parts of Algiers, including Cheraga. It started from around noon and didn’t come back on till Sep 1.

A couple of colleagues and I who were trapped in the pitch dark apartment on Aug 29, decided to check ourselves in to the Sheraton Hotel.

What a blessing in disguise indeed. The weather was just changing from summer to autumn, and was great to chill at the beach.

On top of that, it was Mexican week at Sheraton. So my Colombian & Salvadorian colleagues were able to enjoy authentic Mexican cuisine, Mariachi music and of course, the Mexican babes! *winks*

The Mariachi performing in the hotel lobby

P.S. My Colombian colleague refers to the flights of stairs at the lobby as - The Titanic Stairway (like in the movie Titantic) *hahaha*

No comments: